Paste a url where
can be downloaded
A flying wing SSTO that delivers a small satellite to LKO,
It wants to fly belly down, so making it roll can be different from controlling most other aircraft. Yaw control is the most effective method of rolling - use rudder. Altering roll directly with ailerons is only needed for fine control during landing.
To get into space, use the whole runway to gather speed, then pull up to 25 degrees. Come down to 10 degrees at 10,000m. After accelerating to ~750 m/s, slowly pull up to 35 degrees. When you begin to slow down, switch to rocket mode and continue upward at 35 degrees until apoapsis is above the atmosphere. Circularize at apoapsis as normal.
The ship can reach orbit with over 900 DV remaining, and the small satellite in the cargo bay has over 2,000 DV, which is enough to fly by any planet or moon in the system.
To return from space, move 80% of remaining fuel and oxidizer to the rear tanks, and the other 20% to the forward tank. Its stable enough with empty tanks, but with partial fuel remaining it can be too stable, so adjust your center of mass as needed by moving fuel. Beginning from a 71km x 71km orbit, drop your periapsis to 30km before you fly over the western rim of the big crater on the desert continent. Keep your nose at 35 degrees the whole way down and you’ll be on track for a landing at KSC.
The satellite’s fuel tank is disabled to prevent it from draining during launch - you’ll have to re-activate it after undocking.
A stock aircraft called Space Wing. Built with 33 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2.1m.AdapterLong.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.1.3.
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 33
- Pure Stock
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote