Paste a url where
can be downloaded
- Type: SPH
- Class: aircraft
- Part Count: 61
- Mods: 9
- B9 Aerospace - Legacy Parts Pack
- B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
- Ferram Aerospace Research
- Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Core Pack
- Mk2 Stockalike Expansion
- Procedural Wings
- Squad (stock)
- TweakScale - Rescale Everything!
A mod aircraft called Eve Airlauncher2. Built with 61 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2FuselageShortLFO.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.3.0.
It is a part of fully reusable Eve Orbital Access System. This drone aircraft can bring a space plane to a way more favorable launch position - at altitude of 23-24 km while cruising at 0.8 Mach and then return safely to the starting point. It is powered by two Electric Engines with 7-blade propellers from FireSpiter. Electric charge is provided by several Fuel Cell Arrays, located inside side fuselages. Center section holds fuel tank for feeding the Arrays and docking port for attaching the space plane. Additional stiffness is provided by two Infernal Robotics Active Struts modules.
Two other components of the system are Eve Spaceplane and Attachment Ramp. The ramp is necessary for docking the Spaceplane to Air Launcher - Spaceplane sits rather low on the ground and for safe rotation during take off it should be placed high enough to avoid tail strike.
The ramp provides a safe way to put Spaceplane in position necessary for docking.
Do not attempt to dock Spaceplane to Air Launcher by lowering its gear!
The Air Launcher has a tendency to jump up in the air if gear is lowered and in the best case it will land somewhere 2-3 meters away; in the worst case it could damage itself, the Spaceplane, or injure someone.
Flight Manual is provided below. You will find docking instructions on the Attachment Ramp page.
The aircraft was designed for flying with FAR and Atmosphere Autopilot and its Fly-By-Wire feature. For leveraging the reusability, you should use FMRS or AirPark (or manually edit save file if you’re brave enough).
Some screenshots here depict more complex and expensive model, featuring nuclear ramjet engines and capable of accelerating carried space plane to much greater speeds. This uprated model currently undergoes qualification procedures due to its reliance on nuclear materials.
Currently we can’t offer any kind of logistics solution for delivering the Eve Air Launcher to Eve.
Assuming you’ve achieved successful docking, has cleared the Ramp and positioned aircraft for take off.
- Set brakes
- Check thrust reverser, should be in
- Activate fuel cells (action group 7)
- Activate engines (action group 8)
- Set full throttle and wait for minimum 90% thrust
- Release brakes
- Rotate at 70 m/s not exceeding pitch of 10°
- Set speed control to 100 m/s and climb to 3,000 m with rate of climb about 10-12 m/s
- Disengage speed control and keep climbing to higher altitude keeping airspeed above 100 m/s.
- Once altitude of 23,000 m reached, maximize air speed while not losing much altitude
Releasing the Spaceplane
- Select Spaceplane cockpit and use
Control from here. This will put you in control of the Spaceplane after separation.
- Make a save point in FMRS or manually
- Undock the Spaceplane
- Fly the Spaceplane to the orbit using provided Flight Manual
- Once in orbit, return to save point
Return and Landing
- When you are back in control of Air Launcher, set idle throttle and start turning gently into return course.
- Descent paying attention to airspeed. Do not exceed Mach 1.
- Landing weight is 5 times less than take-off weight, keep the airspeed around 40 m/s for approach and landing.
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote