Paste a url where
can be downloaded
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 84
- Mods: 10
- B9 Aerospace - Legacy Parts Pack
- B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
- Ferram Aerospace Research
- Kerbal Attachment System
- MechJeb 2
- Procedural Wings
- Squad (stock)
- TAC Life Support (TACLS)
- TweakScale - Rescale Everything!
A mod spaceplane called Cygnus-3mi. Has 84 parts. Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.2.2.
Requires FAR! Atmosphere Autopilot highly recommended for its Fly-by-Wire feature. Craft is capable of Single Stage to Mün (one way, sorry) missions and has VTOL capability on Mün. Seats 2 crew + 4 passengers. Can deploy microsatellites.
- Set Brakes on
- Turn Fly-by-wire on, RCS off, SAS off
- Set Flaps to position 1
- Start up Whiplashes (action group 8)
- Full throttle
- When thrust is at least 80%, release brakes
- Rotate at 130 m/s
- Gear up
- Flaps up
- Set speed control to 250 m/s
- Set climb rate to ~100 m/s
- Climb to 10,000 m
- Set full throttle and disengage speed control
- Set climb rate to 50 m/s
- Climb to 18,000 m and keep that altitude
- Accelerate to 1400-1500 m/s
- Start up Aerospikes (action group 9)
- Set climb rate to 200 m/s
- Turn RCS on
- At ~30,000 m set prograde course
- Keep accelerating until desired apoapsis is reached
- Coast out of atmosphere, disengage Fly-by-wire
- Circularize orbit
Vertical Landing (possible on Mün and celestial bodies with similar or lower gravity):
- Use MechJeb to land with nose up (i.e. like a rocket), but set touchdown speed to -0.7 m/s.
- Turn on RCS, turn off front and VTOL Vernors
- Activate MechJeb landing autopilot
- If automatic gear not set, extend landing gear at altitude between 1500-1000 m.
- At altitude of 300-200 m, abort autoland, engage Fly-by-Wire
- Set full throttle and achieve 0 +/- 1 m/s vertical speed.
- Turn front and VTOL Vernors on (action group 6 and 7)
- Rotate craft horizontally
- Using dorsal translation, keep descent speed in safe range
- Adjust craft position and attitude as required
Spacecraft is capable of high-speed entry if operated correctly.
0. Recommended periapsis for low-speed entry is 30 km, for high-speed entry - 38 km.
1. Retract solar panels (action group 4)
2. Before entering atmosphere, set AoA to 70-80 deg.
3. Engage Fly-by-Wire, turn off moderation.
4. Turn on front Vernor (action group 6)
5. Keep high AoA until craft slowed down to speeds below 1800 m/s
6. Perform further descend and aerobraking as necessary
Maximum landing weight is 45 ton.
Minimum control speed is 100 m/s. Recommended landing speed is 110 m/s for landing weight below 38 ton. Set flaps to position 2.
NavUtilities highly recommended for landing aid.
For Mün return flights I recommend to have at least 1500 dV - some fuel is spent for attitude control during re-entry and some fuel might be required for atmospheric flight to landing site. The craft has reserve tank in the nose with 180 units of LF which is normally locked.
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote