Paste a url where
can be downloaded
An enginnering intern at DerbyGras Heavy Industries was browsing Reddit (she swears it was for research) when she saw a commenter claiming that you could build an SSTO with a couple of Whiplash engines and an LV-T30. She shouted
Challenge accepted! and took off for the space plane hangar. Five designs later, DGHI rolled out the SSTO Away. The cargo bay is undersized and the crew capacity is minimal, but it made it to a 120km circular equatorial orbit with 875 m/s dV left in the tank and that’s nothing to sneeze at… nothing at which to sneeze?
Notes on ascent
On the test run, we followed our standard spaceplane ascent profile (translation: we ran our kOS SSTO script):
* AG1 to turn on the jets, full throttle
* Low, level flight (under 1000m) at full throttle to get up to 1000m/s
* Pitch up to 10 deg and ride on up to ~20km
* When the jets start to lose power around 20km, AG2 to flip from jets to rocket (also recommend turning on RCS at this point)
* Pitch up to 25-30 deg and cruise up to ~48-50km
* Pitch back down to the horizon (0 deg) and run straight ahead until your APO hits your desired orbit
Total time from runway to circularized orbit on the test run was ~1100 seconds.
A stock aircraft called DGHI SSTO Away. Built with 49 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2Cockpit.Standard.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.2.2.
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 49
- Pure Stock
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote