Paste a url where
can be downloaded
The SSO-4 Peregrine is a stock Single Stage Orbiter. Built with 94 of the finest parts, this thoroughbred will carry six kerbals to a maximum speed of Mach 5+ in air-breathing mode, and achieves Low Kerbin Orbit with plenty of fuel to spare. When fully refueled in space, it has enough dV to land on Minmus and return.
The SSO-4 is modular; nothing is connected to the crew cabin or docking port, so mix-and-match with cargo bays as needed. Use the offset tool to adjust canard placement for load balancing.
Using the following ascent profile, the Peregrine will reach LKO with around 600 vacuum dV remaining (along with a good bit of liquid fuel for the landing), and a skilled pilot can bring that number way up:
- Accelerate at full throttle in air breathing mode. Takeoff speed is around 140 m/s.
- 30 degree climb at full throttle to 10km
- Level off to 10 degrees, remain at full throttle.
- Things get a little toasty here but hold fast, the air soon starts to thin faster than things can heat up.
- Begin watching your speed when the engines start to sound air-deprived
- When your speed reaches its peak and begins to fall, engage closed-cycle mode and close intakes
- Burn at full throttle until apoapsis hits 72km
- Circularize orbit as normal
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.0.4.
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 94
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote