Paste a url where
can be downloaded
The SSTO D-5 Diamond Mk2 is a Low-tech Single Stage Spaceplane that will take 6 Kerbals and 10.8 t to Low Kerbin Orbit with ~200 m/s dV to spare for rendezvous and deorbit. But even though it has a voluminous cargo bay, you’ll have a hard time cramming that much mass in there without clipping.
If you’re just transporting Kerbals, you can put a FL-T800+400 in the cargo bay and get extra range. Don’t forget to strut them.
Whiplash Turbo Ramjet is the most expensive Tech node required for this craft.
When loading in cargo, make sure CoM is right in the middle of the Cargo Bay or very slightly in front.
- 2x J-X4
WhiplashJets and 2x LV-T45 Rockets.
- Mk2 docking port and Full RCS translation.
- Liquid Fuel: 2420
- Oxidizer: 1980
- Dry Weight: 17.8 t.
- Wet Weight: 39.8 t.
- Max Payload (LKO): 10.8 t.
- Max Take-off weight 50.6 t.
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 62
- Pure Stock
- Built in the SPH
- KSP version 1.2.0
- Cost: 45,694
Reasonable tech tree requirements
Up to 50.8 t take off weight.
Rotate and lift off at 90 m/s.
- Full throttle, SAS On, Stage and Take-off at 90 m/s.
- Build up speed to 450 m/s at sea level. (below 300 m)
- Pitch up gently to 10° above horizon.
- You should reach ~1250 m/s at 15 km altitude. If slower then adjust pitch down in step 3, or up if going faster.
- When speed is no longer rising engage the LV-T45s. (Action Group 1)
- The Jets can be shut down when they flame out. (Action Group 2)
- Between 25 and 35 km hold 10° above horizon.
- When AP is above 45 km point the nose Prograde.
- Throttle down when AP is above 80 km.
- Coast to space and circularize at AP.
Building up speed to 450 m/s at sea level.
Ascending 10° until 1000 m/s.
10.8 t payload lifted to 80 km circular orbit. 900 ore (9 t) + 3 small ore tanks (1.5 t) + 6 struts (0.3 t) = 10.8 t
- 80 km orbit. In Map mode, focus Kerbin and turn camera so KSC is facing towards you right above the Navball.
- Time warp until your spaceplane is right behind Kerbin.
- Put a maneuver node right where you orbit appears from behind Kerbin on the left side.
- Pull the retrograde handle until the maneuver is ~100 m/s dV.
- Move the maneuver node until the planned orbit intersects the surface through KSC.
- Pull the prograde handle until the maneuver is 70-80 m/s dV.
- Perform the maneuver.
- Turn Prograde and time warp till you enter atmosphere.
- Keep nose 30° above horizon until around 35 km altitude or ~1250 m/s. Whichever comes first.
- Hold 5° pitch until you reach landmass where KSC is located.
- You should be passing over the coast at 25-30 km altitude.
- Pitch down 5°-10° below horizon and aim to pass the mountains at 10 km, at 650-750 m/s.
- Pitch down further, if needed, and aim for a point about half the runway length in front of the runway.
- At 200 m, flare and aim for the runway.
- Use Airbrakes and Flaps (Brakes) to slow down to 60-70 m/s.
- Touch down with 50 m/s and less than 3 m/s vertical speed.
Keep nose 30° above horizon until around 35 km altitude.
Aim to pass the mountains at 10 km, at 650-750 m/s
Do you really want to downvote this?
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote