Paste a url where
can be downloaded
The D-4 Outrider is a flexible medium range SSTO. In the default configuration it can lift 4.5 t cargo to a 80 km circular orbit with nearly a 900 m/s dV for rendezvous and deorbit.
It comes standard with Crew Cabin and a long Mk2 cargo bay, but this can easily be replaced with other Mk2 parts. Here are 3 supported configs:
- Long range config: Long LFO tank + Short Cargo
- Medium range config: Short LFO tank + Long Cargo
- Shuttle config: 2x Crew Cabin + Short Cargo
For a smaller version, check out the D-3 Ranger
Notes: Don’t forget batteries or power generators. The standard Crew Cabin has struts to the side tanks inside the cargo bay. Replace with similar strutting inside a cargo bay, to reduce drag.
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 52
- Pure Stock
- Built in the SPH
- KSP version 1.0.4
- Cost: 46,655
- Max Take-off weight: 50 t.
- No external docking port or RCS.
- Liquid Fuel: 3140
- Oxidizer: 2860
- Dry Weight: 14.1 t.
- Wet Weight: 44.1 t.
- Max Payload (LKO): 6 t.
Long range config
* Max Payload (Duna/Eve orbit): 2 t.
Medium range config
* Max Payload (Mun/Minmus orbit): 4 t.
* Max Payload (LKO): 4 t.
- Full throttle, SAS, Stage and at 100 m/s pitch up 5° and take-off.
- At 500 m/s pitch up to 10° above horizon.
- At ~1000 m/s pitch up slowly to reach 15° above horizon around 15 km.
- At 20-22 km switch RAPIER mode. (Action Group 1)
- Keep 15° pitch above horizon.
- When AP is above 50 km point the nose Prograde.
- Throttle down when AP is at 82 km.
- Circularize at AP.
1000 m/s reached at 10-12 km altitude
Medium Range configuration 4 t cargo delivered to Mun with enough dV to return to Kerbin.
Long Range configuration 2 t cargo delivered to Duna orbit.
- 80 km orbit. In Map mode, focus Kerbin and turn camera so KSC is facing towards you right above the Navball.
- Time warp until your spaceplane is right behind Kerbin.
- Put a maneuver node right where you orbit appears from behind Kerbin on the left side.
- Pull the retrograde marker until the maneuver is ~135 m/s dV.
- Move the maneuver node until the planned orbit intersects the surface through KSC.
- Perform the maneuver.
- Turn Prograde and time warp till you enter atmosphere.
- Keep nose 40° above horizon until your speed is around 1400 m/s. (May need to move fuel around to keep stable)
- You should be nearing the coast of the landmass where KSC is at 25-30 km altitude.
- Pitch down 5°-10° below horizon and aim to pass the mountains at 10 km, at 650-750 m/s.
- Pitch down further, if needed, and aim for a point about half the runway length in front of the runway.
- At 200 m, flare and aim for the runway.
- Touch down with less than 3 m/s vertical speed.
Do you really want to downvote this?
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote