Paste a url where
can be downloaded
The D-2 Scout is a small and reasonably cheap spaceplane SSTO that can carry 4 passengers and up to 2 t cargo to a 80 km circular orbit, with a small amount of dV left for maneuvers and deorbit.
With extra fuel in the cargo, Mun or Minmus flybys are possible.
Low tech requirements. Powered by 2 Turbo Ramjets and 2 LV-909s.
For a RAPIER version, check out the D-3 Ranger
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 36
- Pure Stock
- Built in the SPH
- KSP version 1.0.4
- Cost: 29,451
New features of the Mk.3 and Mk.4
- Better Ascent Profile increasing it’s range over the D-2 Scout Mk.2
- The middle segments can be easily replaced.
- Detach the Bicoupler at the rear.
- Replace middle segments with one long Mk2 part or two short.
- Make sure to include batteries or other power generation.
- Reattach the Bicoupler.
- No external docking port or RCS.
- Liquid Fuel: 2060
- Oxidizer: 1540
- Dry Weight: 11.5 t.
- Wet Weight: 29.5 t.
- Max Payload (LKO): 2 t.
- Max Payload (Mun orbit): 0 t.
- Max Payload (Minmus orbit): 0 t.
- Max Take-off weight: 32 t.
Required tech nodes
- Full throttle, Stage and SAS to get going.
- Lift the nose wheel when speed is above 120 m/s.
- As soon as the tail is clear of the runway pitch up to 15° above horizon.
- At 18 km engage LV-909s. (Stage)
- Keep going at 15° pitch above horizon.
- At 25 km the Jets will have run out of Air. Shut them down with right click menu.
- At 30-32 km, the craft may stop climbing or even descend a little. It will start climbing again around 1750-1800 m/s.
- When AP is 60 km point the nose Prograde.
- When AP is 85 km throttle down.
- Coast to space and circularize.
- 80 km orbit. In Map mode, focus Kerbin and turn camera so KSC is facing towards you right above the Navball.
- Time warp until your spaceplane is right behind Kerbin.
- Put a maneuver node right where you orbit appears from behind Kerbin on the left side.
- Pull the retrograde marker until the maneuver is ~135 m/s dV.
- Move the maneuver node until the planned orbit intersects the surface through KSC.
- Perform the maneuver.
- Turn Prograde and time warp till you enter atmosphere.
- Keep nose 40° above horizon until your speed is around 1400 m/s. (May need to move fuel around to keep stable)
- You should be nearing the coast of the landmass where KSC is at 25-30 km altitude.
- Pitch down 5°-10° below horizon and aim to pass the mountains at 10 km, at 650-750 m/s.
- Pitch down further, if needed, and aim for a point about half the runway length in front of the runway.
- At 200 m, flare and aim for the runway.
- Touch down with less than 3 m/s vertical speed.
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote