Paste a url where
can be downloaded
290 Ton Base Weight
A stock rocket called Icarus I. Built with 572 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark1-2Pod.
The Icarus I landing craft is designed to not only safely deliver 3 Kerbalnauts onto the surface of Eve but also deploy a small mobile ground base with attached rover to conduct surface expeditions. Final orbital stage of craft does not have enough Delta-v to return to Kerbin from low Eve orbit, so a secondary transfer stage or refueling tug will be necessary (Transfer Stage/Fuel Tug sold separately). While limited in range, Icarus performs its niche job very dependably.
1) Beginning in a 91km x 91km orbit around Eve, drop periapsis to 75km a bit east of where you want to land using disposable descent stage. (See picture for example)
2) Hit Action Group 10 to toggle heat shields and set SAS to Retrograde. Craft will remain stable throughout re-entry phase without any need for manual input.
3) By 20km, craft’s descent will be vertical and able to safely stage the tail shields. Stage sepratrons and shield release simultaneously to throw them clear of the craft.
4) At 10km, stage parachutes. Once 3rd set of chutes fully deploy, it is safe to drop forward head shield array.
5) Deploy landing legs (Action Group 9) and wait for surface impact. (Landing legs are disposable to absorb landing stress and craft will safely rest on 6 support columns)
6) Deploy ground base/rover and get exploring!
1) Set engines to maximum power and stage ascent phase. Keep nav heading straight up and stage side tanks as they empty. (No power toggling needed, keep power at max all the way to orbit)
2) At 30km, turn heading to 45 degrees east
3) By 50km, lower heading to 5 degrees east
4) When apoapsis reaches 95km, cut engine and set up circularization burn
5) Congratulations! Your crew is safely back in orbit and ready to rendezvous with nearby ships or stations.
Built in the VAB in KSP version 1.2.2.
- Type: VAB
- Class: ship
- Part Count: 572
- Pure Stock
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote