Paste a url where
can be downloaded
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 121
- Mods: 7
- B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
- B9 Procedural Wings Modified
- KineTech Animation Library
- Squad (stock)
- Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights
- TweakScale - Rescale Everything!
A mod aircraft called Emerald-Class Cargo Transport SSTO:
Barracuda Mk. II. Built with 121 of the finest parts, its root part is B9.Cockpit.S2.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.0.4.
To our clients that knew us under the KKAE banner, this should be a familiar name! Some tweaks have been made to account for the new technology available, but the solid design of the Barracuda simply cannot be topped! A full 6-meter length S2-size cargo bay from Tetragon Projects forms the service bay from which the majority of fleetwork can be done in space. All KKAC craft are modular, note, so the cargo bay can easily be retrofit to carry KIS-capable item bays up to service stations, the size of the bay can be altered, or, for clients that also are contracted with Tetragon Projects, the entire bay can be scrapped to provide room for the S2-sized passenger compartments for easy-made crew transport into space. This version weighs in at a cool √72,000.
Flight profile: SSTO’s using Tetragon Projects, particularly the SABRE engines, are very forgiving to fly, and often have significant fuel margins. Getting to orbit simply involves pointing the nose skyward and holding steady until you are through the atmosphere.
1) Maintain a fairly low climb (around 20 degrees) to maximize horizontal velocity. But you want to watch your terminal velocity as well so you’re not losing fuel.
2) Once you hit 8,000-10,000 meters, keep your vertical speed low (below 100 m/s) to maximize the rapid thinning of the atmosphere before you need to switch the SABRE engines to rocket mode.
3) At around 20,000-22,000 meters or whenever the SABRE engines cut out, switch modes to closed cycle, and circularize your orbit!
Re-entry needs to be handled gently, as specialized space-plane heatshields have not been developed yet. However, with generous fuel reserves there is plenty of crossrange capability to bring you back to the KSC.
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote