Paste a url where
can be downloaded
- Type: SPH
- Class: spaceplane
- Part Count: 176
- Mods: 5
- B9 Aerospace Parts Pack
- B9 Procedural Wings Modified
- KineTech Animation Library
- Squad (stock)
- Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights
A mod aircraft called Adamantium-Class Heavy Cargo Transport SSTO:
Bastille. Built with 176 of the finest parts, its root part is HL.Aero.Cockpit. Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.0.4.
Please welcome the new flagship of the KKAC fleet, the Bastille! With new technological developments that allow for smoother traversal through Kerbin’s atmosphere (1.0.4), we have finally been able to design a successful, efficient, and easy-to-fly heavy SSTO! The Bastille can easily carry a
Big-Red fully-fueled into a 130,000m orbit around Kerbin. This craft can grace the SPH of your agency for a cool √192,000!
Flight Profile: Even though the Bastille is a heavy SSTO, Tetragon Projects SABRE engines are very efficient, and provide large fuel margins across all stages of flight.
1) On takeoff, keep the ascent slow. You want to maximize your time in the atmosphere and build up as much horizontal speed as you can. Don’t shoot past your terminal velocity though, or you will be losing fuel fighting the air.
2) When you hit around 10,000m, make sure your vertical climb doesn’t go above 100 m/s. Ideally, keep it around 50. As the air thins, the SABRE engines become more powerful until they cut out around 20,000m, so this is where the craft can really pick up velocity.
3) There should be no thermal issues passing through the atmosphere, so keep the throttle at max until the SABRE engines become starved for oxygen, at which point you switch over to closed-cycle mode and circularize.
Re-entry is a bit tricky at this point, because space plane heat shields have not been designed yet, but a gentle descent will grant you safe passage through the atmosphere, and liquid fuel reserves give you the ability for a powered landing at your desired site.
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote