Paste a url where
can be downloaded
It’s a Locomotive on rails!
- Two cylinders (single acting),
- Offset crankshaft for a better power stroke,
- Wheel configuration: 2-6-2. Two leading wheels, six driven wheels, two trailing wheels.
- Coupling on front and rear,
- Eight blowers, slightly offset from each other to reduce the hammering effect of the thrust on the pistons, valves, conrods and crankshaft,
- Valve cooling system,
- Smoke generator (blocked jet engine pointing up),
- Firebox with pseudo fire effect using Z-fighting (action group 0 toggles it),
- Runs on rails. Doesn’t run without.
- Max safe speed: 10.5 m/s.
Changelog version 1.1:
Redesigned pistons, reduced part count and reduced lateral movement.
Redesigned crossheads to reduce friction, mass and remove lateral movement.
Reduced possible points of failure.
Improved bearing strength.
Improved valve timing a lot.
Slightly increased diameter of the driving wheels.
Added balancing weights to the crankshaft.
Added two blowers.
Top speed increased from an unstable, wobbling 3.2 m/s to a relatively stable 10.5 m/s.
Too many parts? You can reduce the length of the track, it’s 0.5km.
Link to animation: https://gfycat.com/DescriptiveGlaringCapybara
steam locomotive. There’s obviously room for improvement.
Instructions: just hit stage, throttle at 50%. Then gently throttle up as it increases speed to reduce risk of overheating the valves.
Note: there’s no reverse (yet).
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.3.0.
- Type: SPH
- Class: rover
- Part Count: 825
- Pure Stock
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote