Paste a url where
can be downloaded
Warning! KSP 1.4.0 has changed wheel physics! This compromises the handling of all of my cars and trucks!
A cheap, light and fast sports car inspired by the Japanese mid-engined 2+2 sports cars of the mid 1980’s. After two years, the XT has been redesigned. You can find the link to the old one at the end of this text.
Back in 1984 Lowell wanted to compete with the cheap Japanese sports cars that had flooded the market. Instead of designing one themselves they decided to buy a design from a well known designer. It was cheap to produce with a low part count and had an excellent low drag.
The Lowell XT was launched in February 1985 to the global market, only three days after the Subaru XT. Subaru immediately sued Lowell because the shape of the two cars had too much in common, also the name XT was a problem. This was settled out of court but costed Lowell a lot of money, and they also payed the press a lot to keep the case silent. Part of the agreement was that Subaru would name the XT
Alcyone for the local market. In return Lowell agreed to redesign the front and drop the hidden headlamps in favor of a more standard design.
It was determined the designer had stolen the design through corporate espionage. When the police came to arrest him, he had commited harakiri.
The Lowell XT was an immediate success due to its low cost and excellent performance, it could hit 336 km/h which was unheard of at the time. However there were complaints as well. The ride height was more akin to a sedan and the springs and shocks were too soft, comparable with a sedan as well. To prevent tipping over a set of tires was used with less grip, resulting in relatively poor cornering and stopping power.
The complaints were heard and in 1986 the design team started with modifications.
- The ride height was lowered, also the wheelbase increased.
- Springs and shocks were set to max.
- The roof was redesigned using lighter materials, this lowered the center of mass.
- The hood was replaced with one using less parts.
- The front was redesigned, making it lighter and giving it a more modern look.
- The rear lights were replaced with lighter versions.
- The interior received a lighter floor plate.
- The fuel tanks, engine and Boost Flap were lowered and drag reduced.
- Wheels were set at a camber of 3 degrees.
- Downforce was set to zero.
The changes were dramatic.
- Mass dropped from 6.81t to 5.59t.
- Part count dropped from 114 to 94.
- Max speed increased from 336 km/h to 396 km/h.
- Max sustained G in corners increased from 2.1 to 3.0.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.3.1.
- Type: SPH
- Class: rover
- Part Count: 94
- Pure Stock
Do you really want to downvote this?
Don't forget, people build craft at all skill levels, just 'cos something is 'newbish' doesn't mean it needs hatin'.
It will cost you 5 of your own points to downvote